Carter Newton In Rockdale, Texas

Carter Newton In Rockdale, Texas
Graduating from high school 1942

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Eleanor Newton: Princeton, NJ

My name is Eleanor Newton. Carter was my uncle. His oldest brother, Boswell, was my father. My mom and dad lived in Rockdale all their lives.  Carter went off to war, and Dad held the fort down in Texas, as did Tip, the middle son.

After the war, all three families had a child within three months of each other.  (Nancy and I had older brothers). I don't remember the early years, though I have seen pictures, and everyone seemed pretty happy about the whole thing.

What I do remember was that every other summer or so, Carter, Pat and Rick came to Rockdale to stay for a few weeks.  I suppose it depended on where they were stationed as to how long they could stay and in what conveyance they arrived.  I definitely remember the RV (which was called something else at the time).  And I remember Chief, the handsome boxer who slobbered.

A few times we all gathered up at Camp Wernicke in New Braunfels Texas.  Each family had a cabin, and we all hung out together on the porches. We ate together, played cards together, and told stories together. My dad was as good a story teller as Carter, and so it was always entertaining. The main attraction for the kids, however, was the river, which was cold and wide and just right for raft rides, swimming, and jumping off ropes into the water. I remember Carter coming in with us and playing with us. I thought he was wonderful- no other parent, except Pat, would come near the water.

All of this adds up to a truly idyllic 1950s picture. We relaxed and had fun when the Carter Newtons came to town. I knew Carter was in the Air Force but only saw him in uniform one or two times my whole life (until Nancy and I went with them to San Bernadino when we were in high school). I’m not sure I even knew what he did.-whether he flew planes or had a desk job…or both. I do know that my dad was really proud of him, and that meant a lot to me. In fact, when it first came time to think about colleges I wanted to apply to the Air Force Academy because of Carter. Only I was not eligible. The Academy didn’t admit women for another ten years. And A&M didn’t accept women in the Corps. I went to the University of Texas.

I will miss knowing Carter is in this world. In my adult years I didn’t see him much. I regret that. But somehow I always knew he was there. And I knew if anything ever went terribly wrong, if I really needed something, and if I asked, he and Pat would be by my side in a heartbeat. He was a family man. I could depend on him.

Now it is time that Rick, Nancy, and I take over as the senior members of the next generation (our older brothers are deceased). They are big shoes to fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment