Carter Newton In Rockdale, Texas

Carter Newton In Rockdale, Texas
Graduating from high school 1942

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Charlie Trotter, Telephone message; Willis, Texas

"This is Charlie Trotter. I read the obituary today. You won't know who I am. but I played football with you daddy in Rockdale.

He was two years older than me, I was a country boy, but he was a city boy. It didn't matter, he was nice to everyone. We never saw anyone so handsome and also such a good football player. And he never got angry at anyone, not at school and not on the field. I never saw him insult a man. Everybody in Rockdale felt the same way, we all liked him, I know if they hear he has passed, they will all feel like I do: your daddy was something special. I cant come to his funeral because my wife is sick and we are old now. But I wish I could, your daddy was a good man, he was a Texas man. I know he was in the war, so was I; I was a signalman on an LST in the Pacific.

This makes me sad and I cant talk about it anymore. Tell your mother we are all sorry for her. Thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment