Carter Newton In Rockdale, Texas

Carter Newton In Rockdale, Texas
Graduating from high school 1942

Friday, October 14, 2011

Lisa Ben Jacob

Dear Carter:

This is a blast from the past, really. I was bored this afternoon and hunting on Yahoo this afternoon and for some reason remembered your dad and decided to look him up. I used to work with him at Global Marine. I found the website dedicated to his memory and was so sorry to learn that he passed away last year. I worked with him somewhere between 1974 – 1978!

The photos made me realize I had the right Carter Newton. I had to communicate to you.

I have to tell you this about your dad: He bought one of the first handheld electronic calculators for me which, then, cost a fortune, to help me with my work. He bought it for me, personally, so that I could do my work at home. I think he spent $100 on that calculator which, for me, was a fortune at the time (I was 23 years old then) but he did it out of the kindness of his heart, recognizing my need for one. I valued that calculator.

He used to take the stairs several flights up to get to our office every morning (the Contracts Department was not in the main Global Marine building on 7th and Flower but down 7th Street on the next block). He would always gently open the door, be all red in the face and panting, but his smile and good morning were like sunshine on a rainy day.

He was a genuinely nice man…why else, after 33 years, would I still remember the name of someone I worked with unless he made a huge impression. I really thought well of your dad.

My thoughts are with you and your family. I am sure he’s well missed.

Best wishes,
Lisa Ben Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment